ESPN Ticker

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

VIDEO: Francona talks with ESPN's Schaap about ownership


In an interview for ESPN's television show E:60, Terry Francona sat down with Jeremy Schaap to discuss the revaluations in his new book Francona: The Red Sox Years. Earlier this week an exclusive excerpt of the book was released to Sports Illustrated. In that excerpt it was reviled that Francona and former Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein believed ownership became more concerned with ratings and image than wins.

“I definitely think they wanted to win. They also wanted to sell the product,” Francona told Schaap. "I don’t blame them for that. Sometimes it conflicted, made it harder for me to maybe get our work done. I just wanted to make sure that we did win.”

In the Sports Illustrated excerpt, the book describes Francona nearly walking out of a meeting when team chairman Tom Werner, complained about weakening television ratings, said saying the team needed to “start winning in more exciting fashion.”

“I didn’t care if it was exciting or not,” Francona told Schaap. “In fact for me it was too exciting. I have to be consistent. If I’m consistent, I thought we were good enough to win. If I start going up and down like a roller coaster our team is going to do the same thing and it won’t work.”

No comments:

Post a Comment